The types of direct marketing mail you choose plays a crucial part in your print marketing process. With such a wide variety of possibilities (depending upon your target market and budget), you can select the format that works best for your business. You’ll attract attention, increase sales, and build customer relationships.
Here’s a look at some of the most popular types of direct marketing mail.
1. Direct Mail Letter and Envelope
The direct mail letter is one of the most personal types of direct marketing mail communication. They provide a cost-effective way to introduce your business to a target market or start a fundraising campaign. A well-written direct mail letter creates a valuable one-on-one connection with your customers. According to the Data & Marketing Association (DMA), letters typically result in a 4.3% direct mail marketing response rate.
Here are the most popular sizes of direct mail letter:
- #10 business and correspondence envelopes (4-⅛ x 9-½).
- Monarch envelope (3-⅞ x 7-½).
- Announcement envelopes, aka A-style envelopes. They come in a variety of sizes, from A-2 (4.375” x 5.75”) to A-10 (6” x 9.5”). These envelopes are popular for mailing pictures, greeting cards, small booklets, and more.
- 6” x 9” envelopes are typically ideal for folded letters accompanied by printed materials like brochures and other sales materials.
- Larger envelopes, like 9”x12”s, are suitable for sending proposals or booklets you can’t fold. Remember, this size is susceptible to higher postal rates from the USPS. But these oversized letters (aka flats) have the greatest household response rates (6.6%). So if you’re going to send a letter, consider going big for the best result. How big? According to the USPS, the word “flats” refers to large envelopes, newsletters, and magazines. However you choose to label them, they must have one dimension larger than 6-⅛ inches high or 11-½-inches long or ¼-inch thick.
Need help with this? Contact MSP and we’ll be happy to assist you.
Self-Mailers Save on the Cost of an Envelope
If you want to send a direct mail letter, but you don’t want to use an envelope, consider a self-mailer. With this type of direct marketing mail, you’ll save on the cost of an envelope, and you’ll have more room for your copy. You can also implement a perforated reply card or coupon as part of the design.
To get the recipient more engaged, use a unique fold (multi-panel gatefold, roll fold, or Z-fold) and get creative with the way you organize your information. Other popular options include a sleeve, Snap Pak, or booklet mailer.
2. Direct Mail Postcards
Postcards are a cost-effective way to send direct mail. If you want to make an announcement or drive customers to a store, website, or event, a postcard is a sensible choice. Here are the most popular postcard sizes:
- Standard postcard (4¼” x 6″)
- Double postcard
- Oversize postcard (9″ x 6″)
- Jumbo postcard (11″ x 6″)
3. Direct Mail Catalogs
For the past 100 years or so, catalogs have proven to be a great way to generate sales. In fact, the DMA reports that 91% of merchants list catalogs as one of their primary marketing tools. More recently, catalogs have also been proven to drive website traffic. They’re an important branding tool that can offer your business a host of benefits. Among those, you can showcase multiple product lines under one cover and allow recipients to browse and discover new products at their leisure.
Depending on the number of pages you want to feature, the size and thickness will vary.
4. Dimensional Marketing Mail
When you really want to grab the attention of your recipients, a dimensional mailer is an exciting choice. Naturally, a pop-up or a three-dimensional format like a box, tube, bag, or other container is going to be more expensive to produce and ship. For targeted direct mail campaigns, however, it’s money well spent. Dimensional mailers have an almost perfect open rate with the best response rate of any direct mailer, according to the DMA’s annual Response Rate Report.
Furthermore, you increase the “pass-along” value as this type of direct marketing mail is more shareable for family and friends.
Choose Your Most Effective Types of Direct Marketing Mail
Whatever type of direct marketing mail you choose, you’ll need a partner to guide you along the path to marketing success. MSP will help you create, print, and ship direct mail marketing campaigns that make a big impression on your customers. You’ll streamline your mailing process, deliver captivating campaigns, and enjoy the benefits of our experience and advanced technology.
Contact MSP for a free consultation today.
What types of direct mail can you create?
You're probably familiar with the numbers. Direct mail offers response rates over 5% and it has an almost 30% return on investment. Plus, people of all ages love to receive it. The statistics prove it works, but creating outstanding mail marketing can be challenging...
Like many industries, financial service businesses have made a digital transformation to attract and keep their customers. Retail banks are now spending over $20 billion per year on digital marketing. But there's no denying the proven results from including a direct...
There was a time when direct mail marketing campaigns tried to be all things to all consumers. It's almost like businesses were saying: "Here's our message, we hope you like it. And if you don't, we'll just have to live with it because it's the best we can do." The...